Saturday, January 28, 2012

What you see, is what you get

My listening profile says:    I am people - oriented.  We were all in agreement of this assessment.


 Others say:  I communicate comfortably in most situations and feel confident in anticipating such encounters. (By the way, this is not a picture of me.  I just liked her smile).
My daughter was one of my evaluators.  She knows me better than just about anybody.  She, as well as one of my colleagues said I exude confidence in my communication.

  I know that I do have mild anxiety and feel uneasy in some situations.  I try hard not to let it show and that may be the reason others don't see it.



I  have a moderately agressive communication style.  I always attempt  to argue my points fairly because, as we discussed earlier, I use the Platinum Rule (Milton 1998).  Everyone agreed with that assessment of me.



To summarize, we were in agreement with each other looking at the results of the surveys.  I was surprised that I scored myself lower on the verbal agressiveness scale.  All were in the moderate level but I see myself as less aggresive than my two assesors. 

I find this survey affirmed that I am authentic in most of my interactions with family, friends and the public. Basically, what you see is what you get.


Please enjoy the following song;



<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nY9nSd3lUvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



Reference

Bennett, M.J. (1998).  Overcoming the Golden Rule:  Sympathy and Empathy.  Basic concepts in
          intercultural communication  Yarmouth, ME:  Intercultural Press

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    What a great post! I thought the assessments were an accurate reflection of who I am as well. I like your point about being an authentic communicator with family, friends, and others. Your choice of caption "what you see is what you get" is perfect.
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete