Friday, October 28, 2011

When I Think of Research...


Learning about research has been an eye opening experience for me.  I have read and continue to read various studies concerning Early Childhood because, it's important to know what is going on in the world of children.

The insights I have gained are:
  • Research can be simple or very complex                                            
  • Research topics must be clear
  • Research topics can checked through other sources
  • Research has variables
  • Research must be feasible-  make sense
  • Research must be equitable
  • Research has different components - the question, the method, the hypothesis, the sampling, the data
  • Research can be considered male - quantitative
  • Research can be considered female - qualitative
  • Research can be mixed-method - both quantitative and qualitative
  • Research validity  can be accomplished through various triangulations- data, methodological, investigator, theory
  • Research above all else, must be ethical






My ideas regarding research have not changed as much as my respect for the process has strengthened.  The time and thought to develop a research study and the follow through to completion means making a commitment to the study.

The lessons I learned about Early Childhood research in planning, is it takes time. The design will provide the data being sought.  Conducting the research means being ethical in all you do.

To be honest, the challenge I encountered was sometimes understanding the terms used.  I would read and reread them in the book and get more confused.  I, at one time thought someone should write a book called Research for Dummies to help me understand what was being said.  I overcame this problem by reading them again and going to a dictionary to look up the terms.  Research means seeking the answer to  questions through the best means available.





As a result of this course and being an Early Childhood Professional, I see those of us in the field as knowledge seekers.  We must always stay apprised of legitimate websites, current studies and ground breaking research concerning early childhood trends to keep pace with the changing world we live in; to be aware and make others aware of what is happening and how it affects children locally to
globally.

I want to thank each of my cohorts in this class, Leslie, Denice and Tonetta for your comments, questions and insights.  They have helped me learn and grow.  I hope I was able to do the same for you.  Please stay encouraged as we venture forth to our next class with the challenges it holds.  I also want to thank Dr. Davis.  Whenever I asked a question, you gave me the answer to help me understand and I appreciate that.  I now feel I can read research as an informed consumer.  I know I still have some more growth to do in citations and I'll continue to do my best.

References


     Johnson, R.B., Onwuegbuzie, A.J., & Turner, L.A. (2007).  Journal of Mixed Methods
Research, 1(2) 112-133 Walden Library Sage Premier 2010 Table 1 pp 119-121

     Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., Siraj-Blatchford, I, (2010).  Doing Early Childhood Research
International Perspectives On Theory & Practice (2nd ed.) New York, NY: McGraw-Hill


2 comments:

  1. Stephanie-

    I also have gained a new respect for research and those who complete it. I also was confused by the terms that were used. I was constantly flipping back and forth between my book, research chart, and other sources. There should be a book called research for dummies. It would make millions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie. I have really enjoyed listening to your post throughout the semester eventhough sometimes I was really confused with some of the assignments but once I read some of the post from everyone I was able to understand the subject a little bit more. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete